Corporation and Council

First charter 1854

By Jennifer Drury

Charter of incorporation

In 1854 the town obtained its first charter of incorporation and the government was vested in the mayor, 12 aldermen and 36 councillors. The corporation controlled the new police force; a coroner was appointed and a commission of the peace with a separate court of quarter sessions established. In 1873 part of Preston parish was included in the borough. Brighton became a county borough under the Local Government Act of 1887, and by the Brighton Corporation Act of 1927 its boundaries were enlarged to include part of the parishes of Patcham, West Blatchington and Falmer, and the parishes of Ovingdean and Rottingdean (a small part of Patcham had been added in 1923). Stanmer and the remainder of Falmer were absorbed in 1952.

Below is a copy of the original telegram.

Click and then click again on image to open a large version in a new window.


 

Photo:Copy of telegram

Copy of telegram

From the personal collection of Geoffrey Wells

This page was added on 06/10/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.