Local List of Heritage Assets

Former Drill Hall: Gloucester Mews

By Jennifer Drury

 
Photo:Former Drill Hall Gloucester Mews

Former Drill Hall Gloucester Mews

┬ęTony Mould: images copyright protected

Local listing is different to statutory listing; it does not provide further legislative controls. and does not affect when planning permission is required.  However, when planning permission is required, the 'special interest' of a locally listed heritage asset will be taken into account. In 2013 the council asked for nominations for inclusion in the list; over five hundred submissions were considered. The Local List of Heritage Assets was adopted on 18th June 2015, it will be reviewed in 2020; other items in the current list can be seen here.


Built c 1870

The Drill Hall was built around 1870 as the headquarters of the Royal Artillery Volunteers, who had moved from Church Street. The building is located on the site of the former Eagle Iron Foundry. It is first identified on historic OS maps as an ‘artillery depot’, but then as a drill hall. It was used by the military until 1949, lastly as a TA centre, before being a newsagents’ warehouse. It has now been converted to flats.

There are three parts to the Gloucester Road frontage; all of red brick. The unusual castellated parapet and decorative eaves cornice add particular character and interest to the building in the streetscene. The left portion appears to be of a much later date, and is of poorer quality design and detailing. The building has historic and evidential Interest in that it Illustrates the connections between the North Laine and the military.

This page was added on 01/02/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.