Local List of Heritage Assets

Galeed Strict Baptist Chapel

By Jennifer Drury

 
Photo:Galeed Strict Baptist Chapel

Galeed Strict Baptist Chapel

┬ęTony Mould: images copyright protected

Local listing is different to statutory listing; it does not provide further legislative controls. and does not affect when planning permission is required.  However, when planning permission is required, the 'special interest' of a locally listed heritage asset will be taken into account. In 2013 the council asked for nominations for inclusion in the list; over five hundred submissions were considered. The Local List of Heritage Assets was adopted on 18th June 2015, it will be reviewed in 2020; other items in the current list can be seen here.


The Galeed Strict Baptist Chapel, in Gloucester Road, opened on the 15th October 1868; it was designed by Benjamin Nunn in Neoclassical style. The building is rendered, with the appearance of two storeys surmounted by a pediment with small oculus window. Oculus openings, so called from the Latin for 'eye', are a feature of Neoclassical style

The ground floor is rusticated, and contains three doorways. There are three hung sash windows to the first floor, separated by pilasters. The inscription ‘GALEED A.D. 1868’ is located below the pediment. There is traditional-style gas lamp fixed to the westernmost pilaster. It is understood that the interior is plain.

The building's architectural, design and artistic Interest lies in the fact that it is a good example of a particularly austere Neoclassical chapel The building is the only Strict or Particular Baptist Chapel to survive in the city; since their foundation in the city in 1766. There have also been chapels in Bond Street, Windsor Street, Mighell Street. Sussex Street, Haddington Street and West Street; sadly none of these survive.

This page was added on 22/02/2016.
Comments about this page

A friend and I attended this church recently. We were intrigued as to what it was like as we knew nothing about this cause. The front doors were closed on a hot Sunday morning and one might have thought the church closed but we found the doors unlocked and attended the service nevertheless.  The galleried interior is interesting and appears to have seats for at least 350 people although there were 10 in the congregation! There is an interesting 'double decker' pulpit but the place needs a facelift internally. We found the church to be rather unwelcoming!

By Sherlock Wilkinson (18/11/2016)

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.