First Church of Christ the Scientist

July centenary celebrations

By Jennifer Drury

Architect Charles Clayton

The First Church of Christ the Scientist in Montpelier Road Brighton celebrated its centenary this weekend. July 10th 1910 saw the first Christian Science service in its landmark building, designed by renowned architect Charles Clayton.

History exhibition

The centenary celebrations were started with a service, followed by a buffet lunch. There was an opportunity to look through an exhibition of photographs and documents which charted the history of the building over its 100 years.

Celebration attended by The Mayor

The event was attended by The Mayor of Brighton and Hove, Councillor Geoffrey Wells, Councillor Jason Kitcat, faith group leaders and other local dignitaries. The First Church of Christ the Scientist is a founding member of the Brighton and Hove Inter-Faith Group.

Photo:First Church of Christ the Scientist

First Church of Christ the Scientist

Photo by Tony Mould

This page was added on 11/07/2010.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.