Listed Buildings

Mid 19th century lamp posts: Grade II

By Jennifer Drury

Church designed by Busby

St. George's Church was designed by the architect Charles Augustus Busby for Thomas Read Kemp M.P. in 1824-5 to serve the new estate at Kemp Town, and was consecrated on 30 December 1825, opening to the public the following day. It is an elegant, classical, listed building, with a recessed Ionic portico and a Grecian bell-tower surmounted by a cupola and gilt metal cross.

Photo:Mid 19th century lamp post

Mid 19th century lamp post

Photo by Tony Mould:click on photo for large version

Photo:Mid 19th century lamp post

Mid 19th century lamp post

Photo by Tony Mould:click on photo for large version


Positioned at the west entrance

Two lamp posts stand in front of the west entrance to the church. They are early to mid 19th century in design and are a matching pair. The lamp posts are made of cast-iron, fluted with a tapering shaft which rises from cushion base to basket capital. Just below the capital they have a yoke maintenance arm.

This page was added on 10/01/2012.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.