Fishing and fishermen

Brighton Fish Market c1900s

By Jennifer Drury

 
Photo:This photograph was taken between 1900 and 1914. Notice the visitors watching from the promenade.

This photograph was taken between 1900 and 1914. Notice the visitors watching from the promenade.

Image reproduced with kind permission of The Regency Society and The James Gray Collection

A colourful and lively scene

When the King's Road Arches were formed in the 1880s, numbers 216-224  were set aside for the use of the fish market with a hard provided in front for stalls. The colourful and lively scene attracted many visitors who watched the proceedings from the promenade above. Although the fisheries diminished in importance at Brighton, the market continued for the wholesale of 'imported' fish until it was closed by the council on hygiene grounds in 1960.

Photo:The area photographed above in the early 1900s now houses the Carousel Fish Restaurant

The area photographed above in the early 1900s now houses the Carousel Fish Restaurant

Photo by Tony Mould


This page was added on 28/01/2012.
Comments about this page

Interesting that the lighting looks more elegant now than at the turn of the century!

By Stefan Bremner-Morris (30/01/2012)

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.