St Nicholas' Church

Wall painting: east and west walls of nave

By Jennifer Drury

Design by Somers Clark Jnr

The west wall and east walls of the nave were decorated by Charles Eamer Kempe who was responsible for most of the stained glass windows in the church; the design on the wall was produced by Somers Clarke Jnr. Restoration work was carried out on the paintings in 2009 and now their glorious colours and details are once again visible.

West wall of the nave

In the centre of the wall is the coat of arms of George IV (1762–1830). Either side are the arms of William de Warenne, and the diocese of Chichester, St Nicholas’ two main patrons. William de Warren was William the Conqueror’s son-in-law and overlord of the area after the Norman Conquest; in the Domesday Book the manor was assessed as being worth £12. In 1558, the advowson was gained by the Bishop of Chichester; the holder of that title has been the patron of the church ever since.

East wall of the nave

Like the west wall, the east wall of the nave has painted decoration designed by Somers Clarke Jnr and executed by Charles Eamer Kempe, c1892. The decoration is of trailing foliage and sacred emblems with flowers in relief. This wall was also restored as part of the ongoing work in 2009.

Click on the image to open a large version in a new window. Click again on image to further enlarge.

Photo:Decoration on the west wall of the nave

Decoration on the west wall of the nave

Photo by Tony Mould

Photo:Decoration on the east wall of the nave

Decoration on the east wall of the nave

Photo by Tony Mould

This page was added on 03/11/2012.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.