St Nicholas' Church

The Lady Chapel

By Jennifer Drury

Originally a Chantry Chapel

In the 1853 rebuilding of the church by Richard Cromwell Carpenter, the original aisles were doubled in width, but the 15th century Chantry Chapel in the south aisle was reduced in size. In 1900 it was enlarged again and converted to a Lady Chapel in 1909. At this time the reredos, designed and produced by J L Denman (1882-1975) was erected. The carved figures, of the Madonna, with St Nicholas and St George, were added later; the roof was decorated c1895. The wrought iron gates to the chapel are a memorial to the men of the Royal Sussex Regiment, and bear the regimental badge.

Stained glass by Kempe

The stained glass windows, by Thomas Read Kempe represent the appearances of Christ between his resurrection and ascension. On the south wall is a window donated by Somers Clarke dedicated to The Revd Henry Wagner, vicar of St Nicholas church in the period 1824-1870. Another is dedicated to the memory of Henry Smithers, Mayor of Brighton (1861-62), owner of Smithers Brewery of Preston.

Photo:Wrought iron gates to the Lady Chapel

Wrought iron gates to the Lady Chapel

Photo by Tony Mould

Photo:Lady Chapel reredos

Lady Chapel reredos

Photo by Tony Mould

Photo:Lady Chapel altar

Lady Chapel altar

Photo by Tony Mould

Photo:Lady Chapel piscina

Lady Chapel piscina

Photo by Tony Mould

Photo:Lady Chapel roof

Lady Chapel roof

Photo by Tony Mould

Photo:Lady Chapel east window

Lady Chapel east window

Photo by Tony Mould

Photo:Lady Chapel south wall

Lady Chapel south wall

Photo by Tony Mould

Photo:Lady Chapel south wall

Lady Chapel south wall

Photo by Tony Mould

This page was added on 03/11/2012.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.