North Road

North Road Timber Company

In the 1830s, the site of the North Road Timber Company was a grocers and tea dealers owned by John Lynn. North Road was then known as North Lane, part of the rapidly expanding North Laine area.

In 1879 it became Walter & Lynn, Wholesale Grocer and Provision Merchants, who moved to Jubilee Street in 1921.

In 1982, when the present building was being renovated, their names were still visible above the entrance. Since the Second World War, the building has been part of the timber and furniture trade in Brighton. It has been both a furniture dealers and a DIY store.

This page was added on 22/03/2006.