Queen's Park

Photo:The Royal Spa

The Royal Spa

Photo:The Clock Tower which was opened in 1915

The Clock Tower which was opened in 1915

Photo:The Drinking Fountain: This was dedicated in 1893, shortly after the opening of the park for public use.

The Drinking Fountain: This was dedicated in 1893, shortly after the opening of the park for public use.

Opened to the public in 1892

By Jan Hill

During the 70 years or so before the Park opened to the public in 1892, it had been a pleasure ground in private hands. Various developers had planned to surround it with detached villas but only a couple of these were built. At various times during that period the park boasted an archery field, a skating rink and a Spa.

The Royal Spa
The Royal German Spa was opened in 1825 and aimed, by concocting copies of various continental waters, to make up for Brighton's lack of a natural spring. It later became a mineral water factory but fell into disuse. In the 1970s a developer proposed turning the site into a casino but local opposition prevailed and a nursery school was built instead.

The Clock Tower: This was opened in 1915.

The Drinking Fountain: This was dedicated in 1893, shortly after the opening of the park for public use.

This page was added on 22/03/2006.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.