Pool Valley

Then and now photos

19th century view
This photo shows the first baths to be constructed in Brighton, built by Dr Awsiter in 1769. He advocated drinking sea-water as well as bathing in it.  The photo itself was taken in 1856. By this time, the baths had been extended and were owned by Mr Creak.

20th century view
The view is very similar to 2004. The white building on the right is the garage of the Savoy Cinema, which was built in 1929.  The buildings in the background have changed very little. What's now a cafe is the 'Ye Olde Bunne Shop'!

21st century view
This shot looks across Pool Valley towards Brighton's coach station. The white building on the left is the back of the Picture House pub.

Photo:19th century view

19th century view

Image reproduced with permission from Brighton History Centre

Photo:20th century view

20th century view

From the private collection of Bert Clayton

Photo:21st century view

21st century view

Photograph by Tricia Leonard

This page was added on 22/03/2006.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.