Corporation and Council

Photo:Arms and motto of the city of Brighton and Hove

Arms and motto of the city of Brighton and Hove

Reproduced with permission of the Mayor Brighton and Hove, Councillor David Smith

Wards

Reproduced with permission from the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder, 1990

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

e) WARDS: In 1854 Brighton was divided into six wards for municipal elections, namely Park, Pavilion, Pier, St Nicholas, St Peter, and West. Preston ward was created in the 1873 extensions of the borough, and in 1894 the town was redivided into fourteen wards, viz.: Hanover, Kemp Town, Lewes Road, Montpelier, Pavilion, Pier, Preston, Preston Park, Queen's Park, Regency, St John, St Nicholas, St Peter, and West. Kemp Town ward was renamed King's Cliff in 1908 in honour of Edward VII, and in 1923 the new Moulsecoomb estate annexed by Brighton was added to Preston ward.
On the creation of 'Greater Brighton' in 1928 the former Preston parish was divided into four wards while two more wards were created to cover the additional areas outside the old borough. With the creation of an Elm Grove ward, the total number was brought to nineteen, viz: Elm Grove, Hanover, Hollingbury, King's Cliff, Lewes Road, Montpelier, Moulsecoomb, Pavilion, Pier, Patcham, Preston, Preston Park, Queen's Park, Regency, Rottingdean, St John, St Nicholas, St Peter, and West.
In 1952 the county borough was extended again to include parts of Falmer and Stanmer which were added to Patcham and Rottingdean wards. With much development in the suburbs, wards were redistributed in 1955 but remained at nineteen, viz: Elm Grove, Falmer, Hanover, Hollingbury, King's Cliff, Lewes Road, Montpelier, Moulsecoomb, Patcham, Pier, Preston, Preston Park, Queen's Park, Regency, Rottingdean, St Nicholas, St Peter, Stanmer, and Warren wards. The most recent redistribution of seats was in 1983, resulting in the following sixteen wards: Hanover, Hollingbury, King's Cliff, Marine, Moulsecoomb, Patcham, Preston, Queen's Park, Regency, Rottingdean, St Peter, Seven Dials, Stanmer, Tenantry, Westdene, and Woodingdean.
{83,108,109,109a,307}

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.

This page was added on 10/02/2007.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.