Corporation and Council

Council property

Reproduced with permission from the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder, 1990

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

f) COUNCIL PROPERTY: Brighton Council owns some 9,000 acres of land within the borough boundary and another 7,500 outside, mostly purchased between 1900 and 1940. Agricultural estates account for about 11,000 acres and most of the rest is open downland surrounding the town, but the council also owns many valuable sites within the urban area, generating considerable income in the form of leases; the northern side of Western Road is one example. {306}

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.

Click here for a full-sized version of the map

Please read our Terms and Conditions in regard to usage of this image

Photo:Land owned by Brighton Borough Council

Land owned by Brighton Borough Council

This page was added on 10/02/2007.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.