Development

Photo:1850 map of Brighton

1850 map of Brighton

Image reproduced with permission from Brighton History Centre

London Road to Albion Hill

Reproduced with permission from the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder, 1990

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

The following tables list the roads and streets of the borough of Brighton with the approximate dates of their first significant development. This information has been derived from contemporary plans and directories in periods of approximately five or ten years, and the town has been divided into convenient districts for ease of use. It should be noted that many roads, particularly in the Patcham , Rottingdean , Saltdean and Woodingdean areas, were developed piecemeal over many years, while other roads, mainly in the town centre, have been rebuilt since their initial development. Current road names are used in all cases, but streets no longer in existence are shown in italics. The reader is advised to use these tables in conjunction with a street-plan. {10,83,107,108,109}

vi) London Road area (bounded by Trafalgar Street, railway, New England, Viaduct and Ditchling Roads):
1809-21: roads from St Peter's Place to Marshalls Row; Belmont Street; Cavendish Place North; Ditchling Road (south of Baker Street); London Road (south of Baker Street); York Place.
1822-30: Elder Place; London Road (north of Baker Street); Pelham Street (south); Rosehill Close; Trafalgar Street (north side); Wood Street.
1836-41: Blackman, Redcross & Whitecross Streets.
1842-7: Ann, Baker, Pelham (north), St Peter's, Station & Trafalgar (south side) Streets; Cheapside; Providence Place; York Hill.
1848-53: Elder, London, New England, Peel & Queen Streets.
1854-8: Ditchling Road (Baker Street to Viaduct Road); Kingsbury Road & Street.
1859-64: Boston Street; Peel Place; Rosehill & London Terraces; Viaduct Road.
1870-4: New England Road.

vii) St James's Street area (bounded by Old Steine, Edward Street, Eastern Road, Upper Bedford & Bedford Streets):
1779-88: Charles. Manchester, Prince's & Steine Streets; Madeira Place; Old Steine (east side).
1788-99: Broad, Camelford, George, Margaret & Wentworth Streets; Dorset, Lower Rock (west side) & Steine Gardens; Marine Parade (west of Lower Rock Gardens); New Steine; Pavilion Parade; St James's Place & Street (west of Dorset Gardens).
1800-8: Bedford, Cavendish, Chapel, Edward (west of Chapel Street), High, Little St James's, St James's (east of Dorset Gardens) & Upper St James's Streets; Lower Rock Gardens (east side); Rock Place.
1809-21: Devonshire Place; Charlotte, Edward (east of Chapel Street), Essex, Grafton, Hereford, Lavender, Mount, Warwick & Wyndham Streets; Marine & Upper Rock (west side) Gardens; Marine Parade (Lower Rock Gardens to Bedford Street).
1822-30: Eastern Road (west of Upper Bedford Street); Upper Bedford Street.
1830-6: Atlingworth Street.
1870-4: Madeira Drive.
1880-4: Upper Rock Gardens (east side).
1895-9: St James's Avenue.
1970-3: Ardingly Street.
1984-5: Dolphin Mews.

viii) Kemp Town area (east of Bedford & Upper Bedford Streets, including Eastern Road, Bristol Gardens and associated roads, to Black Rock):
1788-99: Royal Crescent.
1800-8: Bedford Street
1809-21: Bloomsbury & Crescent Places; Burlington & Telegraph Streets.
1822-30: Arundel Place & Terrace; Eastern Place & Terrace; Kemp Town Place; Lewes Crescent; Marine Parade (Bedford Street to Paston Place) & Square; Montague, Somerset & Upper Bedford Streets; Portland Place; Rock Grove & Street; Sussex Square.
1830-6: Chichester Terrace; College Place; Millfield Cottages; St George's Road (west of Portland Place).
1837-41: Bloomsbury Street.
1842-7: Belgrave, Chichester & Eaton Places; Marine Parade (east of Paston Place); Percival Terrace; St George's Road (east of Portland Place) & Terrace; St Mark's Street; Seymour Street.
1848-53: Church Place; CollegeGardens; Eastern Road (Upper Bedford Street to College Place); Sussex Mews.
1854-8: Chesham Place; Clarendon Place & Terrace; College & GreatCollege Streets; Montague Place.
1859-64: Bristol, Chesham & Eastern (College Place to Paston Place) Roads; Paston Place.
1865-9: Chapel Terrace; College Road; Prince's Terrace; Rifle Butt Road; Sudeley Place & Street; Upper Sudeley Street.
1870-4: Abbey Road; Arundel Street; Duke's Mound; Madeira Drive (west of Duke's Mound).
1875-9: Chesham Street; Eastern Road (Paston Place to St Mark's Street); Sudeley Terrace.
1880-4: Eastern Road (east of Sussex Square); Rugby Place; Whitehawk Road (west side south of Marlow Road).
1895-99: Madeira Drive (east of Duke's Mound).
1900-4: Bennett Road.
1905-9: Arundel Road.
1920-4: Bristol Street.
1925-9: Bristol Gate.
1963: Prince Regent's Close.
1976-7: Seymour Square.

ix) Albion Hill area (bounded by Edward Street, Egremont Place, Queen's Park Road, Albion Hill and Valley Gardens):
1789-99: Grand Parade (south of Kingswood Street).
1800-8: Albion, Carlton, Circus, Edward (west of Grosvenor Street), John (south of Sussex Street), Sun & Thomas Streets; Carlton Row; Grand Parade (Kingswood Street to Morley Street); Mount Pleasant; Richmond Hill & Place.
1809-21: Albion Hill (west of Grove Hill); Apollo Terrace; Ashton, Chesterfield, Claremont, Edward (east of Grosvenor Street), Grosvenor, Henry, Kingswood, Mighell, Morley, Richmond (west of John Street) & William Streets; Carlton Hill (west of Tilbury Place); Claremont, Cumberland, Devonshire, Egremont (west side), Ivory, Nelson, Phoenix, Tilbury & Waterloo Places; Grand Parade (north of Morley Street); Nelson Row; RichmondBuildings.
1821-30: Cambridge Street; Carlton Hill (south side east of Mighell Street); Claremont Row; Marine View; Richmond Gardens; St John's Place.
1836-41: Carlton Hill (north side east of Tilbury Place).
1842-7: Lennox Street.
1854-8: Carlton & UpperPark Places; Windmill Street.
1859-64: Albion Hill (Grove Hill to Chate's Farm Court); Dinapore, Liverpool & Sussex (east of St John's Place) Streets.
1870-4: Queen's Park Road (west side); Stanley Street.
1880-4: Park Road Terrace.
1890-4: Albion Hill (south side east of Chate's Farm Court); Richmond Street (north side east of John Street; south side east of Windmill Street); Windmill Terrace.
1895-9: Blaker & White Streets.
1905-9: Sussex Terrace.
1931: Elmore & Tarner Roads; Richmond (south side Elmore Road to Windmill Street) & Sussex (Elmore Road to Windmill Street) Streets; Tilbury Way.
1934: Milner Flats.
1938: Kingswood Flats.
1960-5: Ashton Rise; Grove Hill; Richmond Parade.

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.

This page was added on 17/02/2007.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.