Devil's Dyke

Saddlescombe

Reproduced with permission from the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder, 1990

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

d) SADDLESCOMBE: This small hamlet, just a farm and a few cottages around a pond, lies in Newtimber parish just to the east of the Devil's Dyke. It was mentioned in the Domesday Book as 'Salescome', and from the fourteenth century until the sixteenth the manor was a preceptory of the Knights Templar and Knights Hospitaller. The present farmhouse dates mainly from the 1700s, but nearby is a sixteenth- or seventeenth-century weather-boarded well-house enclosing a donkey-wheel and a 150-foot shaft; the well was in use until around 1910. In October 1926 the manorial estate of Saddlescombe was acquired for £10,215 by Brighton Corporation. {1,45,305}

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.

This page was added on 18/02/2007.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.