Dyke Road

History notes and map

Reproduced with permission from the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder, 1990

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

Until the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, when the London Road via Cuckfield route was developed, the Dyke Road was the main route into the town from the north, coach traffic travelling via Henfield and Saddlescombe down the length of Dyke Road to the inns of North Street and Castle Square . From 1777 the road was managed by a turnpike trust.
Dyke Road itself now extends from Western Road to Tivoli Crescent North where it becomes Dyke Road Avenue, but until the early 1950s that part below Upper North Street was a continuation of North Street , while in earlier times the length south from Seven Dials was known as Church Hill. Since 1873 the borough boundary has run along the western line of walls and fences to the north of Old Shoreham Road , and, since 1928, from Old Shoreham Road to Seven Dials ; the section from Russell Crescent to Old Shoreham Road was previously part of the borough of Hove. The boundary then continues along the eastern side of Dyke Road Avenue. {2,33,39,83}

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.

Click here to see a full-sized image of the map

Please read our Terms and Conditions in regard to usage of this image

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Dyke Road' page
This page was added on 27/02/2007.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.