Ladies Mile

Development of the old drove road

Reproduced with permission from the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder, 1990

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

(85)The Ladies Mile Road is an old drove road from Patcham to Stanmer Park which became popular with horsewomen in the late nineteenth century, part of a pleasant circular ride from Preston Park via London Road, the Ladies Mile, Ditchling Road and Surrenden Road. Developed mainly with bungalow housing in the 1930s, the Ladies Mile ridge extends eastwards to Old Boat Corner where forty acres of open downland have been preserved by the corporation as an open space, although some of this will disappear beneath the Brighton bypass. {107,126,127a}

Near the western end of Ladies Mile Road, Mile End Cottages are an attractive Victorian terrace in a light brick. Nearby Place Farm House at the corner of Highview Avenue North is modern, but Drove Cottages, 36-44 Ladies Mile Road, are heavily-restored flint cottages built in 1815 for the poor of the parish {48b}. PatchamMethodistChurch, designed by Peter Gibbs, was built in 1968 on the site of Drove Barn, a flint and timber building which was restored as a church in 1935; it was said to date from 1595 and to have used timbers from an Armada ship wrecked at Rottingdean. {107,108,124,311}

Ladies Mile Road continues eastwards past the White House Nursery School, once the home of George Ferguson who developed the Ladies Mile estate in the valley below, Eastwick Bottom. This area belonged to Place Farm and was once deserted apart from the early-nineteenth-century Eastwick Barn, although the name dates from at least the thirteenth century {108,289}. The flint barn still stands in Eastwick Close, but has been heavily restored and converted into a home, and with the addition of window bays is barely recognisable as a barn at all. The housing estate was developed in the 1930s; Patcham Clock Tower was erected as an advertising aid, while the nearby Ladies Mile Hotel, a superb example of a 1930s estate public house, opened in 1935. The Mackie Hall opened in 1937 in connection with All Saints' Church, Patcham, and in about the same year George Ferguson presented the Mackie Avenue Recreation Ground, the Plainfields open space, and the two Vale Avenue open spaces to the corporation. Also in Vale Avenue is the Horsdean Recreation Ground, eighteen acres levelled in the 1930s and extended in the 1960s; part of this is also to be taken for construction of the bypass, however. {83,124,126,128}

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.

This page was added on 15/05/2007.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.