Recording fashionable visitors

Reproduced with permission from the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder, 1990

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

d) BRIGHTON STANDARD AND FASHIONABLE VISITORS LIST: Published on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, the Standard first appeared on 4 July 1865 as the Brighton Fashionable Visitors List and changed its name on 7 May 1878. It continued until 4 March 1953, a total of 13,249 editions. (See also "Southern Publishing Company" below.)

e) SOUTHERN WEEKLY NEWS: A weekly from the Southern Publishing Company on Saturdays. The first issue appeared on 16 December 1876, and it continued until 11 June 1965 when it was incorporated into the Gazette. (See also "Southern Publishing Company" below.) {19}

f) SUSSEX ADVERTISER: Originally the Sussex Weekly Advertiser or LewesJournal, it was the first Sussex newspaper and was published from 1749 until the early 1900s. From 24 June 1822 until 12 April 1842, it was known as the Sussex Advertiser, or Lewes and Brighthelmston Journal.

g) SUSSEX DAILY NEWS: The first halfpenny daily in the country, founded in November 1868 by Henry John Infield at a small printing works in Lewes Road. By the 1950s it was the only morning daily published in the south of England outside London, but the last copy was produced on 3 March 1956 when it was incorporated into the Evening Argus. (See also "Southern Publishing Company" below.) {19}

h) OTHER NEWSPAPERS: Some of the other longer lasting newspapers were:

Brighton Advertiser, weekly 1880-1925;
Brighton Daily News, 1868-80;
Brighton Examiner, twice-weekly 1853-95;
Brighton Guardian, a radical paper published weekly at 34 North Street by Levi Emmanuel Cohen 1827-1901;
Brighton Observer, weekly 1856-76;
Brighton Programme, weekly entertainment programme 1906-36;
Brighton Society, weekly 1887-1927;
Brighton Times, weekly 1860-1915;
Sussex Evening Times, 1880-1915;

j) SOUTHERN PUBLISHING COMPANY: The Southern Publishing Company was founded in 1888 by Henry John Infield, who had published the Sussex Daily News since 1868. He was succeeded by his son Jonathan as chairman and managing director in 1921, but Jonathan himself died in 1942 and his nephew, Edward Infield Willis, took over. Offices were acquired at 50 North Street which were reconstructed in 1951 as the stylish Argus House, now Refuge Assurance House. In 1926 the printing works were removed to Robert Street.
Eventually the Southern Weekly News and Sussex Daily News were both dropped in favour of the Gazette and Argus, and in 1965 70% of the company was sold to Westminster Press Ltd, with Willis continuing as chairman; the parent company took complete control when Willis retired. Argus House was sold at the end of 1976, with all the offices of the company moving to expanded premises in Robert Street. A free weekly, The Advertiser, was succeeded by the Brighton and Hove Leader on 25 June 1981, and this incorporated the Gazette in March 1985. {6,19,24}

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.

This page was added on 13/07/2007.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.