Regency Square

Photo:St Alban's House

St Alban's House

Photo by Tony Mould

Photo:Royal Sussex Regiment War Memorial, c. 1910: At the southern end of Regency Square is the Royal Sussex Regiment War Memorial, a Portland stone cenotaph unveiled in 1904 to 152 men who died during the Boer War of 1900-2. This bronze bugler, surrounded by four artillery shells also commemorates soldiers killed in the two World Wars.

Royal Sussex Regiment War Memorial, c. 1910: At the southern end of Regency Square is the Royal Sussex Regiment War Memorial, a Portland stone cenotaph unveiled in 1904 to 152 men who died during the Boer War of 1900-2. This bronze bugler, surrounded by four artillery shells also commemorates soldiers killed in the two World Wars.

Image reproduced with kind permission from Brighton and Hove in Pictures by Brighton and Hove City Council

St Alban's House and the War Memorial

Reproduced with permission from the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder, 1990

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

c) ST.ALBANS HOUSE: No.1 Regency Square, together with 131 King's Road, is a grade II*-listed building designed after the rest of the square in 1828-30 by A.H.Wilds; it is decorated with his familiar shell motifs. Originally known as Regency House, it was taken by the Duke and Duchess of St Albans in July 1830 and became one of the centres of Brighton society. The Duchess, formerly the actress Harriot Mellon, married first one of the richest men in England, the banker Thomas Coutts who was forty-two years her senior, but following his death she married the ninth Duke of St Albans, twenty-four years her junior. The Duchess died in 1837.

d) ROYAL SUSSEX REGIMENT WAR MEMORIAL: Standing at the southern end of the square, this Portland stone cenotaph was erected to the 152 men of the regiment who perished in the South African or Boer War of 1900-2. It was unveiled on 29 October 1904 by the Marquess of Abergavenny, and is surmounted by a bronze bugler and four artillery shells. Now a listed structure, it also commemorates the men lost at Louisberg and Quebec in 1759, in Egypt in the 1880s, and in the two World Wars.

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.

This page was added on 25/11/2007.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.