Website Updates

2008

14th December

From our personal contributors:

Christmas: Around the city at Christmas - a gallery of events
Christmas: Christmas wishes and local customs
Christmas: 2008 Salvation Army Christmas Carols
Harmonica Shop: Do you remember it?
Mystery photos of Brighton and Hove: Works outing circa 1920
Brighton and Hove Albion FC: Work begins on new stadium
Local Folk: Knoll School for Boys quiz team c1959

14th December

Please don't forget to visit our new section 'Letter in the Attic' online exhibition.  Letter in the Attic is a collection of letters, diaries, memoirs and other personal papers related to Brighton and Hove.  It is a fascinating section and contains links to The Letter in the Attic' website and online archive.
Letter in The Attic : Online Exhibition

From our personal contributors:
Local Folk: Geoff Collins: School Liason Officer
Wiston Road : Childhood memories
Portslade County : Photo of Class 4a
Wykeham Terrace: A shot from the 1960s
St Peter's School, Portslade: Class of 64
Local Folk: Brighton Pierrot troupe
1960s: 'Hippies' on the beach c1960s
Mystery photos of Brighton and Hove: It's 1950s - but where is it
Local History Resources: Freedom to Roam Guide to the Brighton Downs

26th November

From our personal contributors:

Remembrance: 90th anniversary of the end of WWI
Local Folk: Matilda Grace Maynard
Local Folk: Harry Upward 1908-1944
Local Folk: Shoreham Boy's Club Football team 1955
Mystery photos of Brighton and Hove: Do you recognise this garden?
Mystery photos of Brighton and Hove: Family outing to Brighton 1909
Local History Resources: Books with Brighton settings
Local history resources: 'The Trenches' Museum
Brighton Seafront in the 1950s: The Wanderin Cafe: early 1950s
Richmond Buildings: A galvanised tub on stone floors
1960s: A view from the West Pier
Caught on Camera: The 'Flea Market' 1959

10th November

From our personal contributors:

Wiston Close: Coronation Street Party
Railways: The Last Days of the Pullman Works
The Regent Cinema: Staff on parade c1964
Brighton Intermediate School: Class VA c.1950
Fitzherbert School : A pupil in the 1980s
Local Folk: Giuseppe Faccini:Brighton asphalter
Wartime Memories: Moulsecoomb School allotments
Local History Resources: Lives Less Photographed: working class life in Brighton, 1860-1935
Remembrance: Children's tribute to an old soldier

27th October

From our personal contributors:

Local History Resources: History of Dorset Gardens Methodist Church
Moulsecoomb Primary and JuniorSchools: A new boy in 1931
Tarner Park: Formerly the gardens of St John's Lodge
Marine Parade: Original Oil by Ian Hunt (2008)
Hanover Terrace School: BST School students c1957
Eddie Whaley: Music Hall duo Scott & Whaley
Olive Road : WWII Bomb mystery now solved
Local History Resources: Brighton Behind the Front: reprinted

Tours :
Shops and businesses: Record Shop Tour Final instalment


15th October

From our personal contributors:

Royal Navy: The commissioning of H.M.S. Sussex
Local Folk: Hove Manor Football Team 1953
Local Folk: Girlguiders in Hove
Local Projects: Brighton and Hove People's Day
Mystery photos of Brighton and Hove: Wiles Photographer from Hove - "1920 Football Crowd"
Local Folk: Bison Football Team
Wartime Memories: The Wanderin Cafe
Local History Resources: Brighton At War: QueenSpark calendar 2009

Tours :
Shops and businesses: Record Shop Tour


2nd October

From our personal contributors:

Caught on Camera: Learning about the Paralympics
Ambulance service: Brighton County Control Room - 1967
Mystery photos of Brighton and Hove: Neville Bishop Summer 1950
Regent Ballroom: Ballroom Manager Lionel Stewart
Caught on Camera: Elephants in Pavilion Gardens
Buses: Southdown's 'Queen Marys'
Buses: Working for Southdown in the 1930s
Brighton General Hospital : View of Nurses' Home 1987


16th September

From our personal contributors:

Brighton General Hospital : The Turret Clock
Local Folk: Elizabeth Haymon nee Mears
Embassy Court: A 1930s view from a window
Portslade County : School Football Team 1954/55
Newick Road : Growing up in the 1930s
Local Folk: Jaycee Furniture workers 1958
Brighton General Hospital : Blocks C2 and D2 c1956
Mystery photos of Brighton and Hove: Hobden's Butchers
Hollingbury Park Golf Club: Centenary year celebrations
Portslade County School : Final Year Form 4A 1955


31st August

From our personal contributors:

Madeira Drive : Late 1970's nostalgia
Royal Pavilion: Black and white at night
Local Folk: 1914: Frank Romaine and Christmas in the trenches
Local Folk: Annie Harvey, resident of Hanover
Magnus Volk: 125th anniversary celebrations for Volks Railway
Embassy Court: Photographed in its 1930s heydays
The Guinness Clock: A well loved seafront landmark
Max Miller: Max's Fundraising Garden Party
Middle Street School : School play c1940


18th August

From our personal contributors:

St Nicholas Brighton: Stories Behind the Stones - Heritage Open Door weekend
Local Folk: A badge for WWII Land Army service
Eaton Road : CVA / Kearney & Trecker at the County Cricket Ground
Local Folk: Do you know where this laundry was?
Local Folk: First Lady President of The Rotary Club of Brighton
Mystery photos of Brighton and Hove: Walking the Globe from London to Brighton
Local Folk: Frank Romaine: ARP Moulsecoomb
Local Folk: A Portslade Childhood in Pictures
Encylopaedia of Brighton: Online transfer of Brighton's best loved reference complete


4th August

From our personal contributors:

North Street , Portslade: Notes from New Zealand
Mile Oak Revisited: A very happy re-union of old friends
Vaccination in Victorian Brighton: The scourge of smallpox
Mystery photos of Brighton and Hove: Where was this tobacconist shop?
Caught on Camera: Brighton Pride Carnival Parade I
Caught on Camera: Brighton Pride Carnival Parade II
Local History Resources: Brighton and Hove - Pevsner Architectural Guide


28th July

From our personal contributors:

Choirfest Brighton 2008: Street choirs entertain the city
Caught on Camera: 2008 Paddle Round the Pier
Caught on Camera: Brighton in the rain
Life up The Grove: Moving on
Isolation hospitals: Fulking Grange: smallpox hospital
St.Josephs School : From Elm Grove to Hollingdean
St Joseph 's School: School Photos 1949
Mystery photos of Brighton and Hove: A street in Hove?
Newick Road : Remembering our neighbours


16th July

From our personal contributors:

Caught on Camera: After the Festival May 1971
Caught on Camera: Queen's Park 2008
Buses: The Bristol K types
Postal services: From 1896 to the present day
Libraries: Hove Library's 100th birthday
Community: North Laine Community Association
Local Folk: Jack Spicer in WWI
The Telephone: The complete first Brighton directory
Coombe Road Primary School : Miss Connolly's Class 1951
Downs County Primary School : Memoirs of a 1950s schoolboy
Pirates of Penzance: In Aid of The Martlets Hospice
Royal Sussex County Hospital : 1872 fire that almost destroyed the building
Local projects: Moulsecoomb Forest Garden and Wildlife Project
Coombe Road School : Mr Bear's class c1953


5th July

From our personal contributors:

Royal Sussex County Hospital : 'Miracle' operation in WWII
Isolation hospitals: Treatment for infectious outbreaks
Newick Road : Happy memories of hard times
Caught on Camera: Volunteer photographer's perks
Introduction to Moulsecoomb: Hard times shared
Slums: Disease and slum clearance

This week we publish the final extracts from the letter 'W', from Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton

Warren Farm Industrial School : Construction completed in December 1859
Woodingdean history and buildings: Housing development began c1920
Workhouses: East Street had the first 'poor house' in 1690
Workhouses: Church Hill: established 1821
Workhouses: Elm Grove Workhouse: established 1867
World War I: Brighton largely unaffected by the conflict
World War II: First raid on the city: 15th July 1940


26th June

From our personal contributors:

Local History Resources: Brighton's County Hospital 1828-2007
Old Police Cells Museum : Definitely a 'must see' venue
Ocean Hotel, Saltdean: Memories of a holiday romance
Caught on Camera: Cancer Research UK: Race for Life
Coombe Road Primary School : Are you in this class of 1950?

This week we publish extracts from the letter 'W', from Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton

Withdean Park : Boasts a famous lilac collection
Withdean Stadium: Developed as a tennis centre in 1936
Withdean History: Small Varndean farm established c1800s
Withdean History: Roedale named from William Roedale
Amon and Amon Henry Wilds: Leading archtects and builders of Regency Brighton


19th June

From our personal contributors:

Restaurants and Cafes: The BAR-J Coffee Bar
Coombe Road Primary School : Is this the class of 1953?
Downs County Primary School : Class photo c1957
The ForedownTower: Camera Obscura

This week we publish extracts from the letter 'W', from Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton

Introduction to Whitehawk: Buildings of interest
Whitehawk Football: Whitehawk FC founded in 1945
Withdean History: First record of Withdean c12th century
Withdean History: Development in the late 19th century
Royals: William IV
Mills: First recorded windmills c1545


11th June

From our personal contributors:

Local Folk: 18th Hove Salvation Army Cub Pack c.1950
Devonshire Place : Brighton's first purpose built synagogue 1838
Caught on Camera: World Naked Bike Ride 2008
St Augustine 's Church: Built in Perpendicular Style in 1896
Airliner named for the city: Boeing 767 named 'City of Brighton and Hove'

This week we publish extracts from the letter 'W', from Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton

West Hill: Crown Gardens: dating from 1820s
West Hill: North Gardens: developed in the 1840s
West Hill: Terminus Place built c1840s
West Hill: Terminus Road
West Hill: West Hill Road
Whitehawk: Whitehawk Hill Camp
Whitehawk: History And Development
Whitehawk: East Brighton Park and Sheepcote

4th June

From our personal contributors:

Local Folk: Fred Thomas 1913-1982
Cottesmere St Mary's RC School: The move to the new Secondary Modern School
Cottesmore St. Mary's RC School: Starting school in 1958
St Ann's Well Gardens: Centenary celebrations in 2008
Benfield School, Portslade: Memories and faces: 1959-63

This week we publish extracts from the letter 'W', from Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton

Western Road : Side Streets: Norfolk Road
Western Road : Side Streets: Borough Street
Western Road : Side Streets: Borough Street
West Hill: Albert Road developed 1869/75
West Hill: Buckingham Place constructed c1845
West Hill: Buckingham Road constructed c1850s
West Hill: Camden Terrace: narrow twitten c1840s


28th May

From our personal contributors:

Local Folk: David Hooker: local chimney sweep
Local Folk: Call for Silver Surfers
Preston Park Hotel: A very friendly local pub
Christmas: Father Christmas at Wades Department Store

This week we publish extracts from the letter 'W' from Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton

Water sources: Wellesbourne: Brighton's 'lost river'
Western Road : Buildings of interest
Western Road : Side streets: Temple Street
Western Road : Side streets: Hampton Place
Western Road : Northwards from Regent Hill
West Pier: Construction and Opening in October 1866
West Pier: Developments in the 19th and 20th centuries
West Pier: Closed to the public in 1975 with an uncertain future


21st May

From our personal contributors:

Local Folk: Mayor of Brighton and Hove 2008/9
Mile Oak: School days in the 1950s
Old Steine :The Mantellian Museum 1837

This week we publish extracts from the letter 'W' from Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton

West Street : In 1777 the most exclusive part of the town
West Street : SS Brighton opened 1934
West Street : Henry Thrale's house
West Street : Buildings of interest
West Street : St Paul's Church built 1846/8
West Blatchington : A quiet suburban area
Westdene: Developed principally in the 1950s
Western Road : Named after the land-owning Western family
Western Road : Debenham's and Western Terrace


14th May

From our personal contributors:

News and Updates: Thanks from The Mayor of Brighton and Hove
Prince Albert Street : James Philips' Provisions Shop
Local Folk: Florence Trill
Local Folk: Allen West team 1942
Hove 'prom' : Promenade and the Lawns
Pelham Square : A detailed history
Moulsecomb Housing Estates: A personal visit in 2006

This week we publish extracts from the letter 'W', from Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton

Waterhall: Little remains of the 18th century farm
Water Supply: South Downs a huge natural resevoir
Water Supply: Early companies
Water Supply: Brighton Corporation Waterworks Act 1872
Water Supply: Post-war developments
Wagner, Revd Henry: Born 1792 - died 1870
Wagner, Revd Arthur: Born 1824 - Died 1902

May 5th

From our personal contributors

Local Folk: Badge for the Women's Land Army

St. Peter's Church: On the tram route

This week we publish extracts from the letter 'V', from Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton

Veteran Vehicles: The 'Old Crocks'

Viaduct Road:  Formerly Montpelier Road East

Local Folk: Vicars of Brighton

Vicarages: Earliest Vicarage traced back to 1252

Victoria Gardens : Public gardens between the Steine and the Level

Victoria Gardens : Southern Enclosure

Victoria Gardens : Northern Enclosure

Royals: Queen Victoria

Magnus Volk: One of the greatest of all Brightonians

Volks Electric Railway: Construction and first extension

Volks Electric Railway: Damage, further extension and improvements

Volks Electric Railway: Corporation takeover

Volks Electric Railway: Description and Volk's Railway offices


24th April

From our personal contributors:

1960s: The Cottage Coffee Bar
Local Folk: Celia Wiles and her family
Steve Ovett: The early years of Brighton's greatest athlete

This week we publish extracts from the letters 'U' and 'V', from Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton

Undercliff Walk: Constructed c1930/33 costing £360,000
University of Sussex : First students accepted in 1961

Valley Gardens : Area of outstanding architectural interest
Valley Gardens : Marlborough Place
Valley Gardens : Gloucester Place
Valley Gardens : St George's Place
Valley Gardens : York Place
Valley Gardens: Richmond Terrace
Valley Gardens : Waterloo Place
Valley Gardens : St Peter's Place
Valley Gardens : Richmond Place
Valley Gardens : Grand Parade
Valley Gardens : Pavilion Parade
Valley Gardens : Prince's Street

17th April

From our personal contributors:

Mile Oak Girls' School: Outing to London Zoo 1965
Montpelier Terrace: A continental flavour?
Sportsmen and women: Bob Willows
Mile Oak: 3rd Mile Oak Brownies
Montpelier Terrace: Montpelier Lodge/Heather Court

This week we publish the final extracts from the letter 'T', from Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton

Theatre: Brighton's first theatre opened in 1764
Trams and trolleybuses: Establishment and routes
Trams and trolleybuses: Tramcars and track
Trams and trolleybuses: Demise of the trams
Trams and trolleybuses: Tramways and the General Strike
Trunk murders: 52 Kemp Street

10th April

From our personal contributors:

Local Folk: George Bean the 'Mystery Soldier'
St Nicholas CofE School: School plays 1958-63
ChoirFest Brighton 2008: Hullabaloo Community Quire
Snow in April: Fun in Queen's Park
Hove Lagoon: Happy times and great memories

This week we publish more extracts from the letter 'T', from Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton

Theatre Royal: Opened in June 1807
Theatre Royal: Fluctuating fortunes
Theatre Royal: Henry Nye Chart - manager 1854
Town Commissioners: 1773 Brighton Town Act
Town Commissioners: 1810 Brighton Town Act
Town Commissioners: 1825 Brighton Town Act
Town Commissioners: A municipal borough in 1864
Town Halls: The first town hall erected in 1727

3rd April

Can you help us?
This week we have a special request from the conservation office of Brighton and Hove City Council.  They need help in dating some of the features of the city's well loved theatre The Hippodrome.  Please take time to look at this page:
The Hippodrome: Can you help with its conservation?

From our personal contributors:

Local Folk: Molly's dancing school c1950
Fawcett School : Prefects c1956/57
St NicholasSchool: Fairy Wedding c1951
Introduction to Mile Oak: Views of Mile Oak in 1940

This week we publish more extracts on the letters 'S'and 'T', from Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton

Street Lighting: Chronological development from 1773
Sussex County Cricket Club: Original teamed formed in 1791
College of Technology: Formerly the Municipal Technical College
Telegraphs and Telephones: First telegraphic message 1851
Telscombe: The country's first all electric village in 1930

March 26th

From our personal contributors:

Local Folk: Captain Sydney Ardley Garnham
Mystery photos of Brighton and Hove: 1950s Bank Holiday
Local Folk: Fred Yates, Artist
Hartington Road Viaduct: Memories of the 1930s
Local Folk: Councillor and Alderman: Jonathan Burberry
Local Folk: St John the Baptist ATC Boxing Team 1953

This week we publish more extracts on the letter 'S', from Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton

Sewers and Drains: Early drains
Sewers and Drains: Intercepting sewer and Portobello
Shoreham Airport : First flight 10th July 1910
Stanmer: Domesday Book population 300
Stanmer: Map of the area
Stanmer: Stanmer House built 1721-30
Stanmer: Parish church built 1838
Stanmer: Stanmer Park designed 1720
Stanmer: Stanmer Village

19th March
From our personal contributors:

Buses: Horse drawn to motorised
St Nicholas Church: Mapping the past
Letter in the Attic: To a POW from Buckingham Palace
Clarendon Road : Muggeridge's General Store
Caught on Camera: Brighton Sports Mile 2008

This week we publish extracts from the letter 'S' in Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton

Saltdean: Construction of the housing began in 1916
Saltdean: Restored farm buildings
Saltdean: Saltdean Park and Lido
Saltdean: St Nicholas's Church
Saltdean: Longridge Avenue
St Peter's Church: Early Gothic revival
Schools: Early Charity Schools
Schools: Church Schools
Schools: Brighton School Board
Schools: Local Authority control

12th March
From our personal contributors:

Royal Navy: Hove's 'adopted' submarine
Colourful characters: Ras Prince Monolulu
Goldstone Road: Sunday School c1950s
Kemp Town Railway Tunnel: Organised walk

This week we have extracts on St Nicholas, the former parish church of Brighton, from Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton

St Nicholas: Recorded in the Domesday Book
St Nicholas: Expansion in the early 19th century
St Nicholas: Reconstruction and additions
St Nicholas: The Norman Font
St Nicholas: Parochial history
St Nicholas: The ancient churchyard
St Nicholas: The legend of Phoebe Hessel
And also
St Mary's Hall: Boarding school founded in 1836

March 5th
From our personal contributors:

1950s Brighton Memories: Ministry of Food Ration Book
Local Folk: Girls Guildy c1950
Local Folk: Women's Land Army
Local Folk: Totland Road Coronation Party 1953

This week we conclude the section on St James's Street from Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton

St James's Street: St James's Church
St James's Street: North from the Steine-George Street
St James's Street: North from the Steine-Dorset Gardens
St James's Street: North from the Steine-High Street
St James's Street: North from the Steine-Devonshire Place
St James's Street: North from the Steine-St James's Avenue
St James's Street: North from the Steine-Upper Rock Gardens

February 27th

From our personal contributors:

Census Information: Brighton and the Jedi: 2001 census
Bernard Road : Photos c1920s and c1950s
St Nicholas Road : Living Advent Calendar
xin nein kuai le!: Happy New Year
West Pier: 3D model reconstruction

This week we have extracts from the letter 'S' in Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton

St Dunstan's: Institute for visually impaired Services personnel
St George's Road : Church of St George the Martyr
St George's Road : Buildings of interest
St George's Road : Sudeley Place and East Mill
St James's Street: Northern side
St James's Street: Southern side
St James's Street: St James's Church

February 20th

From our personal contributors:

Balfour Road School : Class 5 in 1951
New England Street : Golden Wedding in 1951
Shirley Street : memories of the 1940/50s
Mansfield College, Hove: Jewish Girls' Boarding School

This week we have the final part of a feature on the Royal Pavilion from Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton

Royal Pavilion: Grounds opened to public 1850
Royal Pavilion: North Gate erected in 1832
Royal Pavilion: George IV statue erected in 1828
Royal Pavilion: North Gate House erected c1774
Royal Pavilion: South Gate: a gift to the city in 1921 
Royal Pavilion: The Great Kitchen: built in 1816

February 11th

From our personal contributors:

Connaught Road : School football team 1908/09
Florence Road Baptist Church : Sunday School Jubilee 1945
Royal Alexandra: Last days - a photographic essay
Primitive Methodist Church : A potted history
St Nicholas Church: An interesting project

This week we have the first part of a feature on the Royal Pavilion from Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton

Royal Pavilion: Known in 1787 as Brighton House
Royal Pavilion: Transformation of the Marine Pavilion
Royal Pavilion: Open to the public in 1851
Royal Pavilion: Estate acquired by the corporation in 1855
Royal Pavilion: First World War hospital
Royal Pavilion: Brief description of the main features
Royal Pavilion: Restoration and Regency exhibitions

February 4th

From our personal contributors:
Knoll School : Memories from the 1950s
Letter in the Attic: Diary of a Brighton cinema-goer 1941
Lourdes Convent: School memories of the 1960s
Knoll School : Memories from the 1950s

More letter 'Rs' from Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton
Rottingdean: Electric Seashore Railway: opened 1896
Rottingdean: Rottingdean Windmill
Round Hill: Middle class housing developed c1860
Royal Albion Hotel: Opened 5th August, 1826
Royal York Hotel: Opened originally in 1819
Royal Sussex County Hospital : Opened in June 1828
Richard Russell: Proponent of the sea water cure c1750s

January 28th

From our personal contributors:
Caught on Camera: The Mayor celebrates Chinese New Year
The Hippodrome: Tommy Trinder appearing c1950
Museums: The Brighton Pebble Museum
Schools: Finsbury Road c1940s

Fancy a virtual walk down Rottingdean High Street?  Well this week you can do that - follow these links.  Text from Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton and photographs by our volunteer photographer Tony Mould.

High Street: Numbers 21 - 31
High Street: Well Within Cottage
High Street: Trellis Restaurant
High Street: Barclays Bank
High Street: Numbers 43 - 49
High Street: Black Horse Inn
High Street: Rottingdean Reading Room
High Street: Margo's Mews
High Street: Mill Cottages
High Street: Hampton Cottage
High Street: Ivy Cottage
High Street: Rottingdean Club
High Street: Olde Place Hotel
High Street: Old Cottage
High Street: Tallboys
High Street: St Aubyn's School
High Street: Numbers 78 - 80
High Street: Stanley House

January 21st

From our personal contributors:
Sussex Street : Tower House
Shoreham Harbour : Views circa 1970
Brighton & Hove Cricket Club: At the Mayor's reception
Local Reserves: The Royal Naval Artillery Volunteers: 1874-1892

Continuing this week with extracts from the letter 'R' in
Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton
Rottingdean: Vicarage Lane
Rottingdean: Timbers
Rottingdean: Hillside
Rottingdean: Court House
Rottingdean: Down House
Rottingdean: Squash Cottage
Rottingdean: Challoners Mews
Rottingdean: Challoners
Rottingdean: Little Barn
Rottingdean: Falmer Road

January 14th

From our personal contributors:
Local Folk: Captain Fred Collins
George Street , Hove: Happy school days memories
Godwin Road : Happy wartime memories
Tommy Farr: T.G.Farr - 1913-86
Wartime Memories: Bofors gun on seafront 1943

Continuing this week with extracts from the letter 'R' in
Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton
Rottingdean: Norton House and The Grange
Rottingdean: Whiteway Lane and Vicarage Terrace
Rottingdean: The Plough Inn
Rottingdean: Whipping Post House
Rottingdean: Cavendish and Pax
Rottingdean: St Martha's Convent
Rottingdean: Dale Cottage
Rottingdean: Prospect Cottage, Aubrey Cottage and North End House

Best wishes
The Volunteer Editorial Team

January 7th

From our personal contributors:
Mystery photos: Mystery clock number 6
Letter in the Attic: Max and the Desert Rats
Seafront: Nostalgic photo gallery

Continuing this week with extracts from the letter 'R' in
Tim Carder's Encyclopaedia of Brighton
Roedean: Roedean Gap - known as such since 1724
Roedean: RoedeanSchool: founded in 1885
Rottingdean: A small Domesday manor
Rottingdean: Boundaries of the parish
Rottingdean: Community facilities
Rottingdean: The Green
Rottingdean: South of The Green
Rottingdean: Tudor Cottages and Tudor Close
Rottingdean: St Margaret's Church

This page was added on 07/01/2008.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.