Rottingdean

'Hillside'

Reproduced with permission from the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder, 1990

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

r) HILLSIDE: An elegant, grade II listed house with five bays of decorative red brick and a Tuscan porch. Hillside was built in 1724 and was the farmhouse of West Side Farm. A listed gazebo at the rear looks out over the cobbled garden wall towards Falmer Road, and was built in about 1822 as a look-out for coaches from Lewes on the new Falmer Road. There is a second listed outbuilding at the rear of the house.

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim

Photo:'Hillside'

'Hillside'

Photo by Tony Mould

This page was added on 19/01/2008.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.