Royal Pavilion

The Great Kitchen: built in 1816

Reproduced with permission from the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder, 1990

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

h) GREAT KITCHEN: Built in 1816, the kitchen, unlike the rest of the Pavilion, has a Greek Doric facade with pediment and pilasters overlooking Palace Place. Following the purchase of the estate in 1850 the great kitchen was used for art exhibitions, and from 1858 until 1876 it housed the Brighton School of Arts and Crafts which was later to become the Municipal Art College (see "Polytechnic"). The interior has now been restored and is lined with over 600 copper utensils, while the roof is supported on thin iron columns in the form of palm trees. There is also a novel roasting-spit, powered by the convection of its own fire.

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.

Photo:Royal Pavilion kitchen before restoration with its ovens, cupboards and tables.

Royal Pavilion kitchen before restoration with its ovens, cupboards and tables.

Image reproduced with kind permission from Brighton and Hove in Pictures by Brighton and Hove City Council

This page was added on 19/02/2008.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.