Royal Pavilion

Photo:George IV statue

George IV statue

Photo by Tony Mould

George IV statue erected in 1828

Reproduced with permission from the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder, 1990

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

l) GEORGE IV STATUE, Church Street : Now standing to the east of the North Gate, this nine-foot bronze figure on a ten-foot granite pedestal was designed by Sir Francis Chantrey and was originally unveiled in the Steine on 9 October 1828 after a public subscription had raised 3,000 guineas. The listed statue was moved to its present position on 14 March 1922 to allow for the erection of Brighton's War Memorial .

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.

This page was added on 19/02/2008.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.