St Nicholas, Brighton

Photo:Font of St. Nicholas' Church, c. 1910

Font of St. Nicholas' Church, c. 1910

Image reproduced with kind permission from Brighton and Hove in Pictures by Brighton and Hove City Council

The Norman Font

Reproduced with permission from the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder, 1990

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

d) The NORMAN FONT: The church's greatest treasure, however, is the Norman font which stands in the south aisle. It was probably carved in the early twelfth century from a single block of Caen stone, and has three decorated bands; the central band has panels depicting Christ's baptism, the Last Supper and two scenes from the life of St Nicholas. The font's origin is a mystery as it predates the church, but it is possible that it came from the earlier Brighton church mentioned in Domesday. In the 1740s two church-wardens had the sculpture partly recut, and they also carved their names in the base which was replaced in the nineteenth century.

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.

This page was added on 12/03/2008.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.