St Nicholas, Brighton

Parochial history

Reproduced with permission from the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder, 1990

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

e) PAROCHIAL HISTORY: The ancient ecclesiastical parish of Brighton was united with West Blatchington from 1744 until 1941, but when St Peter's was designated Brighton parish church on 22 June 1873 St Nicholas's became a district parish church with John Julius Hannah, son of the Vicar of Brighton, as vicar.
St Nicholas's Parish Rooms occupied a large, red-brick building of 1880 in St Nicholas Road. At the end of World War Two it was used as an auction room, but from 1954 until 1966 the building in use as a film studio. It then became Mead's auction rooms again before being converted into flats in 1987 {123}.

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.

Photo:St Nicholas Church

St Nicholas Church

Photo by Tony Mould

This page was added on 12/03/2008.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.