Town Commissioners

1825 Brighton Town Act

Reproduced with permission from the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder, 1990

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

c) 1825 BRIGHTON TOWN ACT (6 George IV ch.179): Still the commissioners found their powers restrictive, and a third Act was passed in 1825 which increased the number of commissioners to 116, with greater financial requirements, but abolished the ex-officio commissioners. More significantly, the Act required sixteen commissioners to retire annually from 1828, with their replacements elected by the ratepayers; the appointment of the directors and guardians of the poor was also transferred to ratepayers.
The Act empowered the commissioners to remove slaughterhouses which caused a nuisance; to remove boats if obstructing the highways; to erect a market, a town hall and a prison; to establish cattle, corn and hay markets; to water streets; to provide a fire-engine; and to require the erection or alteration of buildings to be notified to the town surveyor. The coal-tax was extended to all coal brought into the parish, with tollgates set up at the boundaries, and a schedule of roads was included for widening. Meetings were held at the Sea House in Middle Street until the completion of the new Town Hall in about 1832.

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.

This page was added on 08/04/2008.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.