Valley Gardens

Photo:Waterloo Place

Waterloo Place

Photo by Tony Mould

Waterloo Place

Reproduced with permission from the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder, 1990

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

g) WATERLOO PLACE: A terrace of fourteen houses with bows, balconies, verandahs and Ionic pilasters, built in about 1819 by A. and A.H.Wilds, but unfortunately only nos.1-2 survive. The rest of the terrace was demolished in 1968-70 and replaced by Wellesley House, surely one of the most lamentable planning decisions in the town. The ugly office block was actually erected around one remaining house, no.9, which was occupied by 89-year-old Miss Harriet Sylvester until she died in March 1974. A 1990 plan to redevelop the Phoenix Brewery site with housing and offices involves the demolition of this building, however. {3,44,123}

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.

This page was added on 27/04/2008.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.