Viaduct Road

Formerly Montpelier Road East

Reproduced with permission from the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder, 1990

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

Once known as Montpelier Road East, Viaduct Road marked the northern limit of the ancient parish of Brighton and also of the borough until 1873. Nos.10-32, formerly Viaduct Terrace and dating from the 1860s, are included on the council's local list of buildings of special interest and form a small classical terrace with Ionic pilasters, unusual for so late a date. Opposite, on the northern side stands the former Windsor Terrace. The Calvary Evangelical Church, a yellow-brick chapel in Early English style with some figurehead decorations, was built in 1876 by James Barnes as a Primitive Methodist chapel, the congregation of which moved to London Road in 1895. It was then taken by the Railway Mission, formerly of Peel Street, and still has some classroom buildings at the rear in Stanley Road.  {62,83,306}
At the eastern end of Viaduct Road stands the Brighton Business Centre , a large listed building of knapped flint erected in Preston parish in 1854 as the Diocesan Training College for Schoolmistresses. Designed by W. and E.Habershon, it was extended in 1886 by Scott and Cawthorne. Women were trained at the college, which had originally opened in April 1842 in Black Lion Street , for two years before being appointed at Church of England National Schools. The college continued until 1939 when the building was requisitioned by the Royal Engineers. Used as the R.E. Records Office after the war, it became the Brighton Business Centre in 1987, opened officially in November 1988. {24,44,83,123}

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.

Photo:The Diocesan Training College for Schoolmistresses

The Diocesan Training College for Schoolmistresses

Image reproduced with kind permission from Brighton and Hove in Pictures by Brighton and Hove City Council

This page was added on 02/05/2008.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.